Every week, I scavenge the Internet, US cities, nay, the world to bring you, my beloved, the best freebies and cheapies that life has to offer. (P.S. I promise to include at least one "date" offering for my penny-pinching friends who know that lack of income should never mean lack of love!)
1. Cheap Opportunity to Show Off Your Nerdiness. NYC Recessionistas can enjoy cheap entertainment in the way of trivia and impress a date with The Big Quiz Thing, held at Crash Mansion, 199 Bowery at Spring Street. Bonus: $250 cash prize to the winner.
2. Free Love. For Recessionistas on the prowl but without the financial means to pay the monthly Match.com or eHarmony rates, www.mingles.com offers a way to connect absolutely free. Still no guarantee the photos are recent though, folks.
3. Free March Madness. Whether you cut cable to save some dough or sold your television on Craigslist for the extra cash, you still can catch every minute of the basketball series online, including a free subscription to the feeds for up to the minute scores.
4. Free, uh, Stuff. One of the coolest sites I have seen recently, www.freenapkin.com lets you claim items others have discarded (furniture, technology, and more) or services (such as a Free Haircut at Bumble and Bumble). Happy shopping!
5. Free Opportunity to Shake It on Sunday Night: Recessionistas in Chicago looking to liven up the drudge of Sunday nights should check out Rodan, where Slava performs live.
9-1-1 "What's Your Emergency?"
1 week ago