Every week, I scavenge the Internet, US cities, nay, the world to bring you, my beloved, the best freebies and cheapies that life has to offer. (P.S. I promise to include at least one "date" offering for my penny-pinching friends who know that lack of income should never mean lack of love!)
1. Cheap Designer Apparel: Most fashion-savvy Recessionista's are well familiar with the concept of Designer sample sales. (Designers heavily discount samples of the newest lines to what is usually an invite-only crowd - I once scored a Versace evening dress for, no kidding, $49.) Hautelook, a website mimicking a NYC Sample sale, gives access to a range of designer sales, allows you to mark your calendar for upcoming sales and will even credit you ten bucks for referring a friend. Now that is haute!
2. Free Italian Ice: For D.C. Recessionistas, our friends at Rita's Water Ice are giving away free Italian ices in honor of the first day of spring. What a sweet way to kick off the season! Open until 9 p.m. on March 20.
3. Free Friends: Perhaps, that is an overstatement, but Meetup.com can actually facilitate the bringing together of like-minded individuals. Whether you are interested in enjoying the company of fellow Pug dog lovers or are looking to bond with other out -of -work investment bankers, Meetup will do the work for you.
4. Free Breakfast: Oddly enough, at the Ikea store nearest to you. For the next two days, March 21-22, Ikea stores will be serving free breakfast to customers. Burn off the extra bacon walking about the low-price furniture and home goods vendor and take advantage of Recessionista-friendly prices!
5. Free Inspiration: "There is only one optimist. He has been here since man has been on this earth, and that is man himself. If we hadn't had such a magnificent optimism to carry us through all these things, we wouldn't be here. We have survived it on our optimism. " - Edward Steichen, photographer and mate to artist Georgia O'Keefe
To find inspiration daily, sign up to have a quote sent to you every day. Bonus: it will definitely increase your pretentiousness!
Recessionista Tip of the Day: The Phone can be your best friend and worst enemy. With all that technology offers, avoid getting caught up in the razzle dazzle iPhone/Storm/whatever, and look at your statements for the last few months - are you acquiring overages? under-utilizing technology (international calling, etc.) that you can cut? Spend an hour this weekend identifying exactly what you need and what you can absolutely live without. Then, make the call! Cell phone providers will always answer!
9-1-1 "What's Your Emergency?"
1 week ago