Guest Blogger: Chandra (known in the Clubs and Internet world as "Static")
Spotlight: NYC Nightlife
Spotlight: NYC Nightlife
If you are anything like me, being stuck at home and feeling like a caged hamster gets frustrating and depressing. Never fear! There are plenty of things to do in New York City that will not break your budget and are guaranteed to be a good time. Here are just a few of the musical festivities in the area that are guaranteed to give you eargasms for hours!
For those who are into the beats of house and techno music there are two events that are held regularly that require NO COVER. Now that’s something everyone can afford! Although these events are not at held at big venues such as Cielo, Mansion, or Rebel, the crowds are always fun and the music is always fantastic. Other events are also listed below, including venues that play ‘80s/’90s tunes, as well as rock and roll karaoke! (There is something to be said about the therapeutic measure that screaming into a microphone can do for you!)
· Every Monday: Rock and Roll Karaoke at Arlene’s Grocery at 95 Stanton Street near Ludlow. Starts at 10pm and you can sing your hearts out with a LIVE band that will play songs by Led Zeppelin, Beatles, AC/DC, Journey and various other artists for you to belt out to. (Disclaimer: eargasms are not guaranteed at this particular event. However, mass fun is!)
· Alternate Week Tuesdays (beginning today, February 24): “Temptation Tuesdays” at Delia’s Lounge in Brooklyn (9224 3rd Ave & 93rd). They serve late night food, tempting martinis and various other drinks for your liking. Tomorrow’s event include DJ Amoroso, DJ BOII and Cookie. The excitement begins at 10 pm.
· Every Thursday: TOAST at Sin Sin Lounge on 5th and 2nd. This is a guaranteed good crowd with fun house music to dance to all night. DJ PJay hosts this event and spins once in a while. Introduce yourself to him and the other DJs as they mingle throughout the lounge when they’re not spinning crazy beats for you. Starts at 10 pm.
· Every Friday: LOSER at Simone at 214 E Houston between A & B. This is located in the basement of Stay. Just tell the door guy you are there for the LOSER party and get your stamp and walk on in to enjoy ‘80s and ‘90s music. This event is also hosted by PJay and has various DJ’s each week. Starts at 10 pm.
· An upcoming event - Friday, March 6, 2009: DEPECHE MODE RECAP PARTY. at 310 Lounge located on 310 Bowery between Houston and Bleecker. $10 if purchased online at www.depechemode-ny.com/UpcomingEvents or $15 at the door. There is limited space so get your tickets while you can! Happy hour is from 10-11 pm with $4 beers and well drinks.
In spite of cheap drinks and no cover, your tab can add up over the course of your late, late night if you’re not careful. I would suggest getting a group of people together and pitching in for pre-club libations at someone’s abode. You will save a lot of money and it is a great “warm-up” to a night of music and dancing! If pre-parties and cheap drinks are still too much of a strain to your budget, then get out of the house anyway, shake off the cob webs off your shoes and dance your anger at the economy away! I am sure that we all, girl or guy, know how to work the room in order to get a drink bought for us!